Editor’s note: Apologies for not getting this up yesterday….
There are several different Easter activities going on at various places in the country as well as one we found in Canada (with a hat tip to the Mormon Times). Find a list of events below.
Be sure to look at the videos at the bottom of this post for video glimpses of some of the wonderful events that are being held.
We’ve mentioned the interfaith Easter oratorio and community service effort going on in the Bay Area in California. The remaining performances of “Lamb of God” will be held on the 23rd and 24th of April. See the link for more details.
Here are a few other Easter events that might be of interest to those in the following areas:
- Mesa, Arizona: There is an Easter Pageant entitled “Jesus the Christ” presented on the north lawn of the Mesa, Arizona Temple Visitor Center at 525 East Main St., Mesa, Arizona. Performances remaining this week are on April 20, 21, 22, 23. All performances begin at 8:00 p.m.
- Washington, D.C. — At the Temple Visitor Center in Washington D.C., two performances this week can add to your Easter celebrations. On Saturday, April 23, “For He is Mighty to Save” — a “presentation of music and the spoken word will celebrate the Savior and His redeeming love and atoning sacrifice” will be from 7:00-8:15 p.m. On Sunday, April 24 (Easter Sunday), an Easter concert will be held from 6:30-7:30 p.m. The music will include pieces from “The Redeemer” and other music that commemorates the Savior’s crucifixion and resurrection.
- Los Angeles, California: At the LDS Temple Visitor Center in Los Angeles, an Easter performance, “A Sacred Easter Cantata” will be held April 22 at 7:00 p.m. An Easter matinee, “One Voice,” will be on April 24 at 2:30 p.m.
- Menlo Park, California: At a local LDS building in the area, there will be a Good Friday concert at 7:00 p.m.
- Nauvoo, Illinois: At the Historic Nauvoo Visitor Center, there will be a “Sunday Sociable,” “Easter Music,” on April 24 at 7 p.m.
- Idaho Falls: If you are in the Idaho Falls area, you won’t want to miss the Reflections of Christ traveling exhibit, which will be at the Idaho Falls LDS Temple Visitor Center (map) through May 31. This would be a wonderful way to celebrate Easter this week.
- Omaha, Nebraska: “The Healing Power of Christ” sculpture exhibit, would be another great Easter activity. (Read more about this exhibit and the artist, Angela Johnson, on our website here, here, and here.) This exhibit will be at the Mormon Trail Center, 3215 State St., Omaha (map), through the end of June. For more information, call 402-453-9372
- Ontario, Canada: “Savior of the World,” through April 22 (email b.bibbley ‘at’ mountaincable ‘dot’ net for tickets
And if you don’t live in any of these places, we’ll bring the work of a few of the above artists’ work to you below.
Here’s a video that shows sculptures from The Healing Power of Christ exhibit, with music from composer Rob Gardner (composer of “Lamb of God”).
See glimpses of the Reflections of Christ exhibit through video:
Hear a piece from the “Lamb of God” (Hosanna)
Here’s someone’s amateur video of a song from the Mesa, Arizona Temple Easter Passion Play (Pageant) (this one in Spanish):